A Federal Court has upheld a ban on the sale of fur in San Francisco. Footwear companies like Nike are illegally selling shoes made of kangaroo skin in California. Lessons from a banana slug rescue. The number of communities in the 90% Club is increasing. And finally, celebrities who embrace PETA may be motivated by saving chickens, cows, and pigs, but they are throwing dogs, cats, and rabbits under the bus to do so.
In case you missed it:
- A Federal Court dismissed a lawsuit by animal exploiters challenging a San Francisco ban on the sale of fur. The Court ruled that preventing animal cruelty was a legitimate local interest. The victory paves the way for a first-of-its-kind statewide ban in California which was signed into law last year and will take effect in 2023.
- Although it is illegal to sell shoes made from kangaroo skin in California, the law is not being enforced. A new report says Nike, Adidas, Puma, New Balance, and several Italian, English, and Japanese brands are still selling them.
- The trials and tribulations of banana slug rescue.
The number of communities in the 90% Club — an important milestone on the road to No Kill — is increasing, including:
- Missoula, MT, reported a placement rate of 99% for dogs, 96% for cats, and 100% for other animals, making it a member of the most exclusive club in the movement for dogs and other animals — those placing at least 99% of the animals.
- Palm Springs, CA, reported a placement rate of 97% for dogs and 91% for cats.
- Petaluma, CA, reported a placement rate of 99% for dogs and 96% for cats.
- Brown County, IN, reported a placement rate of 99% for dogs and 98% for cats.
- Fulton County, IN, reported a placement rate of 99% for dogs and 94% for cats.
And finally, quarterback Cam Newton is using his celebrity to promote the vegan diet, but unfortunately, he is doing so through PETA, even though PETA kills healthy puppies, kittens, and others. They’ve also stolen and killed people’s pets. To save chickens, cows, and pigs — a noble and worthwhile goal — we do not have to legitimize an organization that has committed life-ending violence on over 40,000 dogs and cats. All have a right to live.
Have a comment? Join the discussion by clicking here.