If the ASPCA and Assembly Member Amy Paulin get their way, feral cats and scared cats can be exterminated immediately on intake in New York State shelters.
The ASPCA is pushing legislation sponsored by Assembly Member Amy Paulin that would allow New York State shelters to kill animals immediately if shelter staff determine that the animals are in “psychological pain.” There is no definition of what constitutes psychological pain and no standards to how it will be applied. For the first time anywhere in the U.S., shelters will be allowed to kill animals with no holding period of any kind based on the animals’ perceived state of mind, giving regressive shelter bureaucrats unlimited discretion to immediately kill animals based on unenforceable, unknowable, and completely subjective criteria. Not only is this a real and immediate threat to shy and scared animals, as well as feral cats, but it is a very dangerous precedent to introduce in the animal control laws of our nation.
Whether you are from New York or not, please speak up for the animals:
- Email Ed Sayres: email@example.com
- Post comments on the ASPCA Facebook page: www.facebook.com/aspca
- Post comments to twitter: @aspca
- Email Amy Paulin: PaulinA@assembly.state.ny.us
- Post comments on Paulin’s Facebook page: www.facebook.com/assemblywomanpaulin
- Post comments to twitter: @AmyPaulin